For the impatient lot, here’s a quick summary of the review for your first, before we jump to the full length review right after the image gallery.
Packaging & Accessories: 7/10
Build Quality: 7/10
Design & Look: 8/10
Microphonics (higher ratings means lower cable noise): 8/10
Audio Quality: 8/10
My final Rating: 9.5/10
Purchase Date: January 2009
Purchase Price: £40
- Good noise isolation
- Fit isn’t bad, although it’s vastly improved with comply tips + the noise isolation become much better
- Great differentiation between sounds
- Bass response is excellent, better than the rest at its price point
- J shaped wire between the Left and Right bud. Great for portability.
- L shaped jack, which means improved flexibility, and better cabling life
- Warranty is only 1 year in comparison to all other competitors out there.
- They are loud for others. People can hear them when you have them in your ears
- Reasonably big phones, you can’t sleep on them unlike the Sennheisers
- Harsh sound out of the box
- Quite a lot of fakes rolling around on the internet – Buy it from an Authorised dealer to save yourself the hassle.
Once you get a good fit with the Sony’s they turn out to be excellent, better than any other phones I’ve heard for under £50. More so, after 1 year and careful use, the J splitter fell apart, meaning I had to glue and tape it back together to prevent it from getting damaged further. So be warned, the cable isn’t the best aspect of these earphones.
Sound Quality Ratings